- Click “Submit Assignment”
- Type your answers into “Text Entry.”
- Click “Submit Assignment” at the bottom.
- Any words you don't understand? Look them up!
Author: Martin Luther
***Indulgence: A way for people to pay the church to be "forgiven" of all the wrongs they have done.
21. Therefore those preachers of indulgences are in error, who say that by the pope’s indulgences a man is freed from every penalty, and saved; . . .
32. They (the preachers of indulgences) will be condemned eternally, together with their teachers, who believe themselves sure of their salvation because they have letters of pardon. . . .
36. Every truly repentant Christian has a right to full remission of penalty and guilt, even without letters of pardon. . . .
37. Every true Christian, whether living or dead, has part in all the blessings of Christ and the Church; and this is granted him by God, even without letters of pardon. . . .
42. Christians are to be taught that the pope does not intend the buying of pardons to be compared in any way to works of mercy.
43. Christians are to be taught that he who gives to the poor or lends to the needy does a better work than buying pardons; . . . .
86. . . . “Why does not the pope, whose wealth is today greater than the riches of the richest, build just this one church of St. Peter with his own money, rather than with the money of poor believers?”
- How does Martin Luther feel about the Pope & Indulgences?
- Who does Luther believe can be "forgiven" for their sins & wrong doings?
- What does Luther think should be done for the poor?